Best Hot Tub Leak Sealer Reviews of 2021
Is your hot tub leaking? You’re not alone.
It’s not unusual for a hot tub to need a new seal. Whether the leak is small or large, a leaking hot tub is not a good thing. The leak, in most cases, could be caused by several problems, such as a broken seal or a faulty gasket. Luckily, it’s a pretty easy fix.
If you’re hunting for the best leak sealer for hot tubs, I’ve got you covered. I’ve reviewed 7 of the best hot tub leak sealers on the market.
Common Causes of Hot Tub Leaks
There are a ton of reasons why your hot tub might be leaking, and the hot tub sealer helps stop the leak. Here’s a few common reasons why a hot tub might be leaking:
- Your hot tub gasket or seal has worn out and needs to be replaced
- Freeze damage (worst case scenario)
- Your hot tub isn’t installed tightly enough
- You’re not using a proper mixing process
- Your tub’s heated water levels aren’t maintained to the right amount
- The liner isn’t in good shape
- The spa base is cracked
7 Best Hot Tub Leak Sealers Reviewed
1. Marlig Fix-A-Leak Pool and Spa Leak Sealer – 32 Oz
How long have you been fighting the battle of leaky spas and pools? I know, it’s exhausting. But today is the day that all of that changes, thanks to Marlig’s fix-a-leak pool and spa leak sealer.
By using a very heavy, blended concentration, it seals virtually any material. As a result, it’s safe on vinyl, fiberglass, concrete, and tile surfaces. Also, it’s as good for the shell material as it is for piping.
You’ll pretty much love how easy it is to use! In addition, the product features a unique formula that allows it to cure underwater, even in tough conditions. In fact, it outperforms other hot tub leak sealers under the same condition. Well, that’s pretty much the reason why it’s the best-selling leak sealer for pools & spas.
Marlig pool & spa leak sealer is more than just a short-term solution. It forms a hard, long-lasting seal in 24-48 hours, providing years of leak-free performance.
Well, it doesn’t take a lot to seal off leaks. Minor leaks, for instance, only take 8 ounces per 1000 gallons. Larger leaks, on the other hand, might need a second bottle. But whichever the case, it pays off big time, sealing up small holes, voids, and cracks, up to 1/8 inches wide.
It’s a non-toxic formula that works in soaking tubs and pools. So, you can rest easy, always knowing that your family is safe. No more fighting with leaky spas!
- Different pack sizes
- It finds and fixes leaks without draining the water
- Reaches leaks in hard to reach areas
- Non-toxic formula
- Provides long-lasting relief from leaks
- It also works great on plumbing
- The instructions are a bit confusing
2. Spa Choice Seal a Leak for Spas and Hot Tubs – 16 Oz
Are you tired of trying to find leaks and cracks? Well, Spa Choice leak a seal has a practical solution that eliminates the guesswork in sealing minor leaks and cracks.
Well, for unknown locations, simply add the solution to a skimmer and let it do the finding for you. It gets to every crack and hole, creating a perfect seal every time.
But it gets even easier if you know where the leak is located. Simply put the desired amount directly into the leak area.
Whichever treatment you use, Spa Choice leak a seal offers professional results. It creates a permanent seal within 24 hours. Hence, you don’t have to keep waiting for days to get back to enjoying your hot tub.
Spa Choice doesn’t leave anything to chance regarding accurate measurements. Each bottle is calibrated and comes with a dosage chart to ensure you use just the right amount. Well, the rate of application is one ounce per 500 gallons.
The solution comes in a 16-ounce bottle. You can, however, buy it in bundles for large-scale projects.
Spa Choice has been selling its products for years now. Hence, you can trust that it has your best interest at heart. So get this hot tub leak sealer and start saving money.
- Excellent for minor leaks and cracks
- A handy choice if you don’t know the leak location
- Works quickly to stop leaks within 24 hours
- It’s also available in multi-pack options
- It might require repeated applications to seal off the leak
3. Spa Bond Hot Tub & Pool Leak Sealer Patch Kit
Are you looking for a more inexpensive way to repair your hot tub leak? Well, you can rest easy with the Spa Bond leak seal patch. It’s an easy-to-use, budget-friendly option for all your hot tub leaks.
This seal patch kit is the perfect idea for DIY projects. Simply peel off and paste it directly on where the water is leaking.
Because it conforms to any shape, you can use it for PVD pipe repairs. Also, adhesion increases with time, making the seal even better. Hence, ensure to align the patch carefully before securing it down.
There are four patches in two sizes (2×2 inches and 4×4 inches) suitable for small leaks. Still, you can trim them down if required.
The patches are clear, hence don’t leave unsightly marks in shell repairs. Also, the ultra-clear finish is virtually undetected once in place.
Spa Bond hot tub patch kit works on a range of materials. For instance, you can use it on vinyl, PVC, and acrylic. Such compatibility makes it an excellent option for hot tub users. Indeed, it’s a leak sealer that will help you save money and extend the life of your hot tub!
- An affordable option
- Conforms to any shape
- Four patches in one kit
- Strong adhesiveness
- Requires more precision to install
- You’ll need to drain the water to use it
4. Leisure Time ZJ Leak Seal Care for Spas and Hot Tubs – 32 Oz
Do you want spa care that’s easy to use? This leak sealer from leisure is the way to go.
Leisure Time ZJ Leak Seal is a premier name in spa water care. Well, with over 30 years of experience, the company knows how best to get around leaks. It offers this simple spa care program for minor leaks in pools, spas, and hot tubs.
This hot tub leak sealer is easy to use, and the instructions are easy to follow. Hence, you can spend more time in your hot tub and less time maintaining it.
Simply pour it into the skimmer or main drain to seal off leaks. Also, you don’t have to use a lot. For example, 1/3 of the bottle is enough for most spas and hot tubs. Pools, however, might require the entire bottle.
Leisure Time leak seal is not only good for spa surfaces but also plumbing. Moreover, it’s compatible with popular sanitizers, such as chlorine, bromine and, ozone sanitizers.
- It locates and seals off leaks
- Reaches challenging areas
- Compatible with popular sanitizers
- Excellent for spa surfaces and plumbing
- No need to drain the water
- Available in multi-pack options
- It might require repeated applications for a perfect seal
- No dosage amount
5. Pool Putty Epoxy Leak Sealer Repair Kit
Leak detection professionals recommend this putty epoxy leak sealer to stop leaks fast.
It dries very hard to provide a permanent seal. So strong is the bond that it takes a chisel and a hammer to break it off. At 20 minutes, it doesn’t take long to cure and harden, even underwater. Hence, you can get back to enjoying your hot bath in no time.
Two-part moldable epoxy is easy to mix and work by hand. Additionally, it doesn’t stick to your hands; hence no cleanup is required. Alongside the instructional video, you get a putty leak sealer that’s a top choice for DIY projects.
This pool repair putty comes in a 4.9-ounce tube. But while small, you don’t have to repeat the treatment. You’ll always get it right the first round. So, unless it’s for a large project, you’re less likely going to use an extra tube.
Now, this white epoxy stick adhesive comes with extra benefits. Besides creating a strong, watertight seal, it protects the surface of your tub from decay and corrosion. Hence, I recommend it as the best leak sealer for Whirlpool tubs.
- Creates a strong, permanent bond in 20 minutes
- Easy to apply, even underwater
- Helpful instructional video
- The white color might leave unsightly marks on some tub surfaces
6. Leakmaster Pool Leak Detection Kit
Are you looking for a reliable and more convenient way to detect and repair leaks? Well, with decades of experience to its name, Leakmaster has you covered.
You get a 4-in-1 bundle pool leak detector and repair kit. The tester kit comprises an 8 Oz leak locating dye, a spa leak detector kit, and a handy syringe. Also, you get professional-grade epoxy putty stick for leak repairs.
The dye makes it easy to locate precise leak locations. Moreover, there’s enough to fill your syringe 43 times. Hence, you can do as many tests as you wish.
Now, this professional leak detector pinpoints the most common leak locations. You can use it to detect leaks on skimmers, spa spillways, splits in tiles & plaster, and lights.
The moldable epoxy putty leak sealer is more like a smooth paste. Also, it doesn’t stick to your hands, making it easy to work into any shape. Still, it’s a strong adhesive that cures into a rock-solid seal in 20-30 minutes.
Okay, forget about draining your pool or hot tub. This hot tub putty leak sealer is waterproof, hence ideal for underwater repair.
This DIY pool and hot tub leak sealer kit come with a step-by-step instructional video. Hence, it’s easy to use, even if you don’t have experience.
- An affordable way to seal tubs
- 4-in-1 bundle detects and repairs leaks
- A strong bond stops the leaks permanently
- No need to drain the water to use it
- It comes with an instructional video
- The white color might be noticeable
7. AquaDoc Spa & Hot Tub Leak Sealer
You know there’s a leak. But you just can’t pinpoint the exact location. Well, AquaDoc spa & hot tub leak sealer offers a solution.
It locates and seals minor cracks and leaks in hot tubs and spas. Also, it acts extremely fast, stopping leaks within 24 hours.
Like other liquid sealants, it seals leaks while the tub is full. Hence, you don’t have to drain the water.
This hot tub leak repair comes with a dosage chart. Thus, it eliminates the guesswork and unnecessary waste during application.
AquaDoc hot tub leak sealer not only saves you time and effort but also money. There’s a checkout code that enables you to save up to 15% when buying in bulk.
- Discount on multi-pack options
- Fast-acting formula stops leaks in 24 hours
- Finds and seals minor hot tub leaks
- No need to drain the water
- Includes dosage amounts
- It might require repeated application
Best Hot Tub Leak Sealer: Complete Guide
Type of Leak
If the crack is up to 3mm or the water has a salt level of 3000ppm, a hot tub leak sealer is an excellent option. However, that doesn’t make a hot tub leak sealer useless where the leak is more extensive. You can still use it but in repeated applications.
Type of Sealant
There are three leak sealers for spas, pools, and hot tubs: solution, patch, or putty adhesive sticks. Each works to seal the leak and keep the water in the tub. But which one is the best?
Liquid or solution-based sealants come in handy where:
- You don’t know the leak location
- The leak is in hard to reach areas
Leak sealer solutions are used on a full tub, hence no need for draining the water. Also, they require the help of the pump to recirculate the water.
Often, liquid sealants provide a long-lasting seal in 24-48 hours. Well, depending on what suits you best, you can pour it to the target location or through the skimmer in allotted quantities.
Typically, the rate of application is 1 Oz per 500 gallons. However, you can apply several times to ensure the leak is sealed.
Patch kits demand a more hands-on approach. The patch kits come in different sizes, often targeting minor leaks. However, for it to be effective, it must cover the leak fully.
Affordability and strong adhesiveness make patch kits an excellent option. But they’re not without a few caveats.
- It requires precision to apply
- It’s quite a nightmare to remove once in place
- You’ll need to drain the tub to attach the patch securely
- Installation is quite tricky where the leak is in hard to reach areas
Putty adhesive sticks seal the gap water is escaping from. Also, they provide a permanent, unbreakable barrier that holds up well underwater. So, like leak sealer solutions, there’s no need to drain the water.
However, putty adhesive sticks are not without a few drawbacks.
- Because it’s difficult to remove, it requires precise application
- Depending on how much you use, putty can cause uneven surfaces
But the drawbacks are not much of an issue perse, provided you exercise more precision.
Hot tub leak sealers come in a wide range of prices. So, before you go and buy, I recommend setting a budget and sticking to it.
Often, you don’t need to spend a large sum to get a good-quality hot tub leak sealer. After all, leak sealers are considerably cheap, and you’re guaranteed to find a bargain.
Best Hot Tub Leak Sealer FAQs
How do I check for leaks in my hot tub?
- Watch the water levels closely. If the water level in your hot tub starts dropping, it may be leaking. This happens most often if the water level is set at a height with no water in the tub.
- Another way to determine if your tub is leaking is to get down on the tub’s floor and run your hands along the bottom. If you feel any bubbles, then you’ll know you have a problem.
- Alternatively, fill a paint bucket with warm water and add a little bit of soap. Pour it into your hot tub. If the water begins to bubble, your tub is leaking.
- Also, you can pinpoint a hot tub leak by adding dye or food coloring to the water. Check for a point where dark water appears first. Well, that indicates the leak location.
What do I do if I can’t find the source of the leak?
I recommend using a solution-based hot tub leak sealer. Remove the filter, add it directly to the water, and run the pump. Then, all you do is wait as the product does the sealing for you. For better results, however, use 1-2 applications.
But if you know the source of the leak, you can use other types of sealants. These include putty leak sealers and adhesive patch kits.
Which hot tub leak sealer is best for minor leaks?
Solution-based sealants are the best for the job. Fix-A-Leak, in particular, tops this category. It’s a tried and tested formula for sealing off minor leaks.
But for serious leaks caused by larger cracks, I recommend you explore other options. For this, you might want to consider putty-based hot tub leak sealers.
What’s the lifespan of a leak sealer?
Well, it’s contingent on the severity of the leak and the strength of the sealant.
For minor leaks, a sealant can last a lifetime. Larger leaks, on the other hand, may not last as long. Hence, you may need to reseal after a couple of years.
A strong sealant provides a durable, long-lasting seal than those that perform poorly. Well, all the products I’ve listed score high in durability. Hence, they guarantee a long-lasting seal.
Buying a hot tub is quite a big investment that can range from $4,000 to $20,000. Hence, it’s important to take care of it to get the most enjoyment out of it. Unfortunately, leaks are never fun and often impossible to detect until it’s too late.
But no need to panic as this article gives an insight into the best hot tub leak sealer on the market. These products are easy to apply and protect your hot tub for many years to come.