How to Clean Shower Curtain – DIY Guide
To maintain basic hygiene, we often clean the bathroom. But one thing we tend to ignore now and then, which is the shower curtains. For some reason, we think that it’s difficult to wash them. Most of us use plastic ones, and when they get dirty, we replace them. Easy!
Have you ever thought that you’re both polluting the environment and wasting so much money?
The washing shower curtain isn’t that difficult. There are two ways two different ways of washing a shower curtain.
Don’t Miss To Read: Best Shower Enclosures – Top 5 Models Reviewed
1. Machine Washing
- First, remove the shower curtains from your curtain roads. Make sure you take out all the hooks.
- Place your curtains inside the washing machine.
- If your curtains are made out of delicate fabric, then place a thick cloth with the curtain. For example, you can use towels. It prevents the curtains from tearing apart. It also prevents wrinkles.
- Use detergent and baking soda. The amount of baking soda will be exactly half. For example, if you’re using 2 cups of detergent, then use a cup of baking soda.
- Now, if you clean your curtains regularly, then you don’t need anything other than baking soda and detergent. But if it’s your first time washing the curtains, then you might need to add a little bit of bleach. Amount? Same as the baking soda. Not more than a cup.
- If your curtains are transparent or white, instead of using baking soda & detergent, you can only use the bleach.
- Now turn on the washing machine. Put it on the highest level. Don’t forget to wash your curtains in warm water.
Don’t Miss To Read: The Best Shower Grab Bars in 2021 – Complete Buyer’s Guide
2. Hand Washing
What about the people who don’t own a washing machine? Won’t they clean their curtains? Yes, they will. It might need a little bit more effort. But there are some ways through which you can ease some of your hard work. Follow some steps; your curtains will look like you’ve just bought them.
- Sprinkle some baking soda over your curtains. Make a light layer. Scrub the curtains thoroughly.
- Dump the curtains in warm water.
- Scrub the curtains again until the baking soda is cleaned properly. This way will take out any stain.
- Now put some more baking soda. Scrub it thoroughly.
- Add some more warm water.
- Scrub until the baking soda is c. Never leave the curtains with baking soda. It might cause some damage to the curtains. If your curtains are made out of delicate fibers, it might tear up the curtains.
- Use body washing products if necessary. Never use harsh soap.
- Wash the curtains thoroughly.
- Hand them to dry up.
How to Wash Plastic Curtains
If you already own a plastic curtain, then what?
Are you going to throw it? No way. Plastic curtains can be clean.
Yes, you read it right.
You can follow the above methods.
Instead of using baking soda, detergent & bleach, use only one component.
Put the settings on a medium or low level. Follow the following steps. Your curtains will be cleaner than before.
When you’re hand washing the curtains, again sprinkle the baking soda. Scrub the curtains thoroughly. Damp the curtains in warm water. Make sure the water is not too warm because it’s plastic. So use lukewarm water. Scrub the curtains until the baking soda is completely removed. Rinse the curtains through clean water.
You don’t need to do these actions repeatedly, as you did with the other curtains.
Always check the fabric of your curtains. Use a bit of cleaning component to test whether it is cleaning your curtains or not. Sometimes these components tear up the fabric or wash away the color. Put a little bit of detergent or baking soda on the corner of your curtain and keep it for a while. Then rinse it off.
There are some products in the market known as a fabric softener. You can use them to make your curtains soft. If your curtains are colorful and spread color while washing, then use a bit of salt. It will prevent the color from spreading.
Now an important question arises. How often should a person clean their curtains? It depends on the type of fabric you’re using. But you should clean your curtains seasonally. This will prevent all the unseen bacteria from growing up.
From now on, you will see new curtains in your bathroom without spending a lot of money. Your curtains will look as if you’ve just bought them from the market.